This recipe is a good way to use up stale bread. It also makes a wonderful starter.
- Bread (classically served on Italian bread but you can use any bread)
- 2 garlic cloves (peeled)
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 ripe tomatoes
- ½ cup basil leaves
- Salt and pepper
- Grill (or frying pan)
What To Do:
- Chop up tomatoes (you want them in very small cubes) and place in a bowl
- Chop up 1 clove of garlic and roughly chopped basil. Place all this in your bowl with the tomatoes and stir with a spoon
- Into the bowl add salt and pepper to taste and drizzle with about ½ tablespoon of oil. Mix well and put to one side
- Heat up grill (or frying pan) with a little olive oil (for non-stick purposes)
- Place the bread on the grill and cook until golden brown (if your using ordinary bread cut into half or quarters)
- Cut the 2nd garlic clove in half. Remove bread from grill and immediately rub garlic over the bread.
- Place on a plate and spoon tomato mix on top of the bread. Sprinkle a little chopped basil on top and serve.
You can make the tomato mix up to a day before you are actually going to use it. Just put it in an air-tight container and keep it in the fridge.