- 250g Dark cooking chocolate
- 4 tablespoons of water
- 3 eggs (separated)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- Microwave proof bowl (glass is best)
- Electric mixer (or a whisk, metal bowl and ice)
- Metal spoon
What To Do:
- Take eggs out of fridge 15 mins before using them
- In a microwave proof bowl break the dark chocolate into pieces and add the water
- Microwave chocolate for 30 seconds, remove, stir well and then put on for another 30 seconds. Mix until all the chocolate is melted (you can put it back in the microwave for another 30 seconds). Then put aside to let cool.
- Beat the egg yolks (yellow part) and sugar together until a pale yellow colour.
- Mix in the egg yolks into the chocolate mixture (CAUTION: ensure the chocolate is not too hot otherwise the eggs will cook)
- In a separate bowl, beat whipping cream until soft peaks form. Using a metal spoon gentle fold the whipping cream into the chocolate mixture
- In a clean bowl beat the egg whites until they form stiff peaks. Using a metal spoon fold in the egg whites to the rest of the mouse (be very careful and slow, you want to trap as many air bubbles as you can)
- Place mouse in ramekins (or leave in a large bowl) and chill in refrigerator (in ramekins this takes 2-3 hours, in a large bowl this will take longer)
- Serve with chocolate shavings on top and whipped cream on the side.
Adults only: after step 5 add 1 tablespoon of rum and ¼ cup espresso for an alcohol coffee flavour.